Friday, June 1, 2012

So Kool or Not Kool? Orange Sweet Rolls

So Kool or Not Kool?  SO Kool
Picky Eater's Opinion?  Great... Please keep them out of the house because I am on a diet
Will it Make the Future Chef's Menu?  Yes... as a breakfast item

This is a time consuming recipe to make just because of allowing the dough to rise a couple of different times, but it was easy to make.  Mixing some flour and yeast in warm, but not boiling water and then let it rise for over an hour.  We ended up having this as a mid morning snack because my boys wake up early (before 6 AM) and need to eat VERY early :)  However, we need a snack in the morning, so this was a special treat. 
We rolled the dough out on the counter top and I was pretty pleased with the overall shape of it.  If I make these again, I will split this up into two smaller more manageable rolls for my own sanity. 
 
I covered with butter as it called for (1 stick) but next time, that will be reduced immensely (1/4 of a stick) or eliminated altogether.  I also added a little more marmalade than it called for, so when I rolled this into the log, it was a M.E.S.S.  There was a nice warm concoction of butter, marmalade and brown sugar oozing out of the roll and all over my hands.  Next time, I will use the proper amount of marmalade.  
Now, let it rise for another half an hour and then bake it.  While it is baking, I made the icing (which I would be more likely to call a glaze).  This icing got poured on the rolls when they were done baking.  This was a delightful way to spend my Tuesday morning breakfast. 

No comments:

Post a Comment