Monday, February 27, 2012

So Kool or Not Kool? Chicken Fried Steak

So Kool or Not Kool?  So Kool
Picky Eater's Opinion?  So Kool

I was a little nervous trying the recipe for Chicken Fried Steak after reading a few posts written by fellow Sweet as Pie members.  My husband (aka Picky Eater) was not going to be here for dinner because he had to work tonight, so I bought about 1/3 the meat that it was called for.  In addition, my youngest is a vegetarian (self proclaimed).  I thought we would start small and if we liked it, we could always go big the next time.  :) 
Around dinner time, everyone wants in on helping... if only I could get that response when it was time to clean up :) 
We set it up just as Pioneer Woman Suggested, Meat, Egg/Milk mix, Flour Mix, and then a plate for the prepared steaks.  JMS did the dredging of the meat from one mixture to the next.  He is so helpful in the kitchen. 

Starting Meat
Dipped in Egg/Milk Mixture
Then dipped in the Flour

Frying in the Oil
I didn't get a good end picture, but the end result tasted great.  In the flour mixture, I added extra Seasoned Salt, Lots of Pepper, onion powder, and Chili Powder.  I used the chili powder because the comments were that it was more bland then they would have liked.  The Chili Powder added a little kick and JMS's comment was "We have to make this again... this was AWESOME."  He also made the gravy and I was so proud to watch him learn to salt and pepper to taste.  I'm so proud of him and can't believe he is already 11.  Where did time go? 
We saved a small piece for my husband, just so he could have a sampling.  He enjoyed it as well and suggested we make this again some time soon!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment