Tuesday, February 21, 2012

So Kool or Not Kool? Corn Chowder

So Kool or Not Kool?  Kool
Picky Eater's Opinion?  Kool

As I was cutting up the peppers, my sweet husband came in and said "What the heck are you making?"  I told him it was corn chowder and one of our recipes for the month, so he agreed to try it, although very hesitantly.  I have to admit though, he is a sucker for a bread bowl, so I did have that working in my favor.  Below are my 3 beautiful helpers... although only the oldest was allowed to help with the knife and the chopping of the peppers :)
Cooking the onions... I am fortunate because JMS loves to help with the cooking, so he is my "Food Prep" and helped with chopping the onions and all three peppers.  We included one yellow, one red, and one orange pepper. 
Adding the bacon and cooking further.  While the recipe called for fresh corn on the cob, I couldn't bring myself to pay $1.25 per ear for corn on the cob, so I used frozen corn and it worked out just fine. 
I found bread bowls at Publix and I know how much my husband loves them, so I went that route.  It was my first time to prepare bread bowls, so some of them were cut too short and too thin on the walls, but we made due.

When it was said and done, the soup tasted fabulous with the bread bowl and we will definitely be having it again.  My dear husband, who refuses to eat any peppers, who questioned the dish and told me ahead of time that he would taste it, but not like it... that man... finished off my leftovers the very next day before I could even think about trying them.  The VERY. NEXT. DAY!!!  I guess that speaks volumes about the recipe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment