Monday, March 5, 2012

#65 Go 24 hours without Checking Email or Facebook

I don't feel like I spend that much time on Facebook or checking my "non-work" email, but with the acquisition of my smart phone, it is unbelievable to me the amount of time that I devote to the two of these things.  Now, I work for an online campus, so not checking my email is NEVER an option during the week as that is our primary source of communication.  The only time I actually have time to check my personal email and "play" on Facebook is on the weekends, so I gave it up on a Saturday. 

I am one of those people who does NOT like there to be little icons on the home screen of my phone, not those reminding me I have texts, emails, or Facebook notifications... that drives me C.R.A.Z.Y.  Normally, I never get more than 2 or 3 emails that have accumulated in my inbox... that is especially true since I found and fell in love with Siri.  I LOVE that I can dictate my responses instead of typing them out in text, so I respond significantly faster.  All of this experimenting with "Social Fasting"  really made me aware of how "Wired" I am to my phone.   While I love that I can respond quickly so the emails don't pile up, I need to learn to let the icons pop up with additional numbers and to be o.k. with that.  By the end of the day, I knew that I had 15 new emails that needed to be responded to and 24 notifications on Facebook.  I made it and it was easier than I thought... so much so, that I may be making these weekends much more common. 

No comments:

Post a Comment