Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Kool or Not Kool? Simple, Perfect Chili

Kool or Not Kool?  Very Kool (but spicy)
Picky Eater's Opinion?  Good, not his favorite
Will this be on the Future Chef's Menu?  Definitely... a 10 out of 10 (I told you... he will eat ANYTHING)

The title of this recipe sums it up perfectly.  I only took one picture of this and it was because we were running VERY late for dinner.
I did not use the entire 2 pounds of ground beef.  We used 1 pound of ground beef and 1 pound of soy meat.  We eat meat, but we are trying to reduce the amount of meat in our diet (Picky Eater doesn't know that is what we are trying to do, but it is... :) )  I couldn't taste the difference and with all of the spices, this was very good.  I like my chili and soups with a little bit of liquid.  So, after the tomato sauce, I added about a cup of V8 juice (which I always use instead of tomato juice) and a half a cup of water.  We let it simmer for about 45 minutes (see time crunch mentioned above).  We eat almost religiously at 5:30 because my two youngest are asleep by 6:30.  I remember eating chili as a young girl with buttered bread.  I have not been able to replicate that recipe the way my head remembers the recipe, but this recipe is EXCELLENT and ridiculously easy.  We added kidney beans and the rotel, but left out the Cayenne Pepper (because we didn't have any).  We will definitely make this again and in bigger batches so that I can freeze some of it to pull out and use later.  I love making soup in the winter and freezing 3 - 4 batches from the recipe to have at a later date when I don't feel like cooking.  Simple.Perfect.Chili.

1 comment: