Tuesday, March 6, 2012

So Kool or Not Kool? Penne a La Betsy

So Kool or Not Kool?  So Kool
Picky Eater's Opinion?  Kool
Will this be on the Future Chef's Menu?   Most likely (Don't get me wrong, JMS will make and eat just about anything... I LOVE to cook for him or with him).

I Love anything pasta.  I love a tomato cream sauce.  I love shrimp.  That made this recipe a winner for me before we even started.  In addition, this one made it to our top 10 of recipes to choose for the month.  (This was a good month for me recipe wise because I got to choose one recipe and 2 of my other top 10 were also chosen by fellow Cooking Club Members). 

I followed this recipe almost exactly...  Melt butter and add shrimp.  Cook through and then put on a plate until later. 
 
Normally, in our house, the "bewitching" hours are between 4 - 6 PM so cooking dinner is my side show to referring the fight between the two youngest!  Today, however, I was blessed because they were playing nicely together while they put a train puzzle together.  This made my day!!!
Now... More butter to brown garlic and onions.  I have a ton of minced garlic that I bought on clearance coupled with the fact that I do not have a garlic press (as of yet) to mince my own garlic, so we did use minced garlic instead of mincing our own.  Now, when my dad is cooking, he would tell you, "You can never have too much garlic or onion," so this probably wouldn't have been enough for him, but it was definitely the perfect amount for my family. 
Once browned, we added the wine, tomato sauce and the heavy cream.  Before I joined Sweet as Pie, I rarely cooked with cream, but since Pioneer Woman uses it a lot, I have found that we are using it more and more.  I love how food tastes with cream cooked into it.  None of us are coffee drinkers, so we NEVER have it on hand, so that is something I am still getting used to. 
 Throw the shrimp back in...
 And then the pasta... Stir until your heart is content and then Yum it up!!!
Overall, this recipe was a hit and I will definitely make it again.  We did add fresh parsley, but left out the basil.  I thought I forgot to buy it, but I didn't... I found it in the fridge later... I HATE it when that happens.

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to make this, maybe this weekend. Did you happen to have leftovers, did they warm up ok? Looks like it makes a lot and I was thinking of making half the recipe if the leftovers are not as good as the fresh dish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We didn't have many leftovers because we have a family of 5... all boys but me, so we didn't have many leftovers :(

      Delete