Tuesday, March 6, 2012

So Kool or Not Kool? Chicken Pot Pie

So Kool or Not Kool?  Sooooooooooooo Kool
Picky Eater's Opinion?  Very Kool, but could have used a little more spice
Will this make the Future Chef's Menu?  DEFINITELY... a 9 out of 10

I was so excited to try this recipe.  In addition, this is a recipe that made it down to our final 3 when choosing our recipe.  So, even though we didn't select it... I was SUPER thrilled that it was on the menu, because I was going to try it anyway.  I love pot pies.  I lived in New Zealand when I was younger and when we walked to school, we would stop and order a minced meat pie for lunch.  During lunch, we would walk up to the local store and pick it up and walk back to school and it would be piping hot.  This began my love fest with pot pies.  I have made chicken pot pies a few times before, but I have never made my own crust and I have often used refrigerated pie crust, biscuit dough, or Bisquick.  This is the first time I made my own pie crust for pot pie and not for actual pie.  I will start by saying I loved her pie recipe.  She said it was beautiful and flaky and she was 100% dead on.  Oh. My. Gosh! So. Good!!!!!  (Totally unhealthy, but oh so delicious!)


I clearly still have some work to do on my crust...  I didn't roll it thin enough, but my edges don't look terrible.  Still some improvement to go, but an improvement over my quiche.
I was fortunate enough to have 2 sous chefs.  David helped with the carrots and celery, JMS did the onions.  I'm not a fan of dicing vegetables, so I was glad to have the help :)
 
 Melting Butter (We have definitely had practice with this :) )
 Our cutting board with vegetables...
 Adding the flour to thicken it up...
 Then adding the chicken broth and cream (one of my new favorite ingredients).
 I have made chicken pot pies both with a "lid" and without a "lid", so I read this incorrectly when I first read it and thought I didn't need a lid.  I had separated the crusts like she said and the other one was already starting to freeze in the freezer.  Anyhow, long story short... my top looks awful because it had to be pieced together...  but the crust was EXCELLENT and tasted FABULOUS.  We will definitely be making this again... probably sooner rather than later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment